2014 Film Festival Programme – Saturday 18th October 2014 @ 16:30,
The Old Market Hall
2002, United States of America, 57min
Director Joan E. Biren (JEB)
Followed by Q&A with Jane Traies & film Some Ground To Stand On
Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon were partners in love and political struggle for over fifty years. With incisive interviews, rare archival images and warmhearted humor, No Secret Anymore reveals their inspiring public work, as well as their charming private relationship. It is a delightful way to meet these legendary lesbians, known as the founders of the modern lesbian civil rights movement. When they courageously launched the Daughters of Bilitis in 1955, it became the first public organisation for lesbians in America.
A lifelong lesbian and feminist and now approaching 70, Jane’s daily mission is to combat the invisibility of old women (and of old lesbians in particular) by being as out and proud as possible.
Before she moved to Sussex in 2010, Jane was an active member of Border Women and a member of the organising committee of the Shropshire Rainbow Film Festival.
From 2009-14 Jane was a student at the University of Sussex and received her PhD this summer. Her thesis records the lives and experiences of the oldest generations of lesbians in the UK. For this project she collected the opinions and experiences of some 400 women between the ages of 60 and 90 who identify as lesbian or bisexual. Her next project is to make some of these life stories into a book.
Programmed by SpringOut
Screening sponsored by:
- Outstanding Documentary, American Library Association Notable Video for Adults
- Official Selection, American Society on Aging Media Festival
- Audience Award, Best Documentary, Provincetown International Film Festival
- Audience Award, Best Documentary, Mardi Gras Film Festival, Sydney
- Juror’s Award, Special Mention, Turin International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Audience Award, Best Documentary, Connecticut Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
- Juror’s Award, Best Documentary, North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
- Audience Award, Best Documentary, Philadelphia Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Audience Award, Best Documentary, Austin Gay & Lesbian International Film Festival
- Audience Award, Best Documentary, Reel Affirmations, Washington, DC
- Audience Award, Best Documentary, Seattle Lesbian and Gay Film Festival
A Co-Production of Woman Vision and Moonforce Media.
Producer/Director/Writer: Joan E. Biren (JEB)
Producer: Dr. Dee Mosbacher
Associate Producer: Margie Adam
Associate Producer: Jason Heffner
Director of Photography: Sophia Constantinou
Narrator: Kate Clinton
Editor: Gary Westphalen
Composer: Claire Harding
Researcher: Courtenay Singer